The Apptology Team participated in the California’s Health Data Code-A-Thon sponsored by the California Health Foundation over the weekend of June 6 and 7, 2015 which was also designated as the National Day of Civic Hacking. There were over 60 participants from all over Northern California. Apptology developed a project using the WIC vendor data and created an app for the population served by the Sacramento County WIC office.
I’m honored to report that Apptology team took first place. Special recognition goes to the Shellynn Finstad for her wonderful design work for the project. The full rankings can be found here. The full description of Apptology’s entry is listed below.
To view Apptology’s Demo for the California Health Data Code-A-Thon, tap on the icon for your device.
Please note that the HTML 5 version has limited functionality.
The purpose of the Sacramento County WIC App is to provide relevant data to the population served by the Sacramento County WIC Office.
Data Sets Used in the Development of this App:
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Authorized Vendor
- Sacramento County WIC Web Site
- 211 Sacramento Web Site
The above data was plotted and overlaid on one map, with each set color coded.
These are the front end features of the app:
- Info: Provide the same content that’s in the Sac. County WIC web site
- Locations: provide directions, phone number, and email of all Sacramento County WIC offices
- Resources: Combines the WIC vendor Data, Sacramento County WIC info, and 211 Sacramento Resources in a usable format that’s searchable, can be viewed in a map or by list
- Calendar: provides calendar of relevant events
- Videos: Links to California WIC YouTube channel
- Share Photos: allows user to share their photos
- Social Media: links to Sac County’s Facebook and Pinterest pages
- WIC Shopping Guide: PDF of official WIC Shopping Guide
- Notepad: allows users to make notes
- Online Education: instructions on how to access WICs online educational program
- Book: PDF of Eat Well on $4 a day
- Feedback: Allows users to send feedback via audio recording
- Links: links to relevant resources
These are the main backend features:
- Content Management System: Allows app administrator to update content in real time
- Push notification: Allows app administrator to send out a push notification
- Analytics: view different usage analytics regarding the app
- iPhone 5 Emulator: allows administrator to view the functioning app
Push Notification Interface
Using the Sacramento County WIC App as a template, the app can be replicated in other languages and for counties inexpensively.
By Rich Foreman, CEO / Apptology and Director of Startup Grind Sacramento. Rich co-authored the book Tap into the Mobile Economy and his blog has been listed in the Top 20 Mobile Marketing Blogs of 2014. Follow Rich on Twitter at @ApptologyCEO or attend a Startup Grind Sacramento Event.